John Smedley is a luxury knitwear brand, manufacturing jumpers, cardigans and sweaters in top quality merino wool and 100% cotton. Production has been based in the company's factory in Matlock, Derbyshire for more than 220 years.
John Smedley to this day only uses the best quality natural materials, and successfully combines the legacy of traditional craftsmen skills with the efficiency of modern technology.
John Smedley designs knitwear collections for both men and women. His designs are classic and can form the mainstay of any wardrobe. He uses high quality fabrics such as cotton, merino wool and cashmere, and many of his designs are in one simple colour or with stripes or block coloured.
Here is a summary of the key ingredients in the production of John Smedley knitwear that make it so fabulous:
- The selection of the finest raw materials from around the world. For example, John Smedley's Extra Fine New Zealand Merino Wool is specially bred by nominated Wool Growers on the south island of New Zealand, for its special properties. The wool is soft and comfortable, provides natural warmth, yet is naturally strong and machine washable. John Smedley's Sea Island Cotton is characterised by its exceptional fineness, the natural long length of the fibres and its high tensile strength. All the cotton is handpicked just as the plants reach maturity. This ensures that no defoliant is used, and the purity of the cotton is maintained.
- Knitting and 'Fully Fashioning' the garment to shape, adds that prestigious hallmark of quality.
- Linked seams - this means that every joining stitch is linked together by hand so there are no uncomfortable ribbed seams
- Attention to detail and quality is paramount, exemplified by over 35 hand finish operations which are used in each and every garment.
- Natural Derbyshire spring water is used in the wet finishing and dyeing.
- John Smedley knitwear is instantly recognisable against other brands due to it being so fine guage and lightweight. The knitwear contains approximately 1,206,000 knitted stitches per garment.
Which celebrities wear John Smedley knitwear?
Celebs who have been seen out and about wearing John Smedley cardigans and jumpers include Nicole Kidman, Madonna, Tom Cruise, Kathryn Prescott and Sean Connery.
Where can I buy John Smedley online?
- my-wardrobe have a fantastic selection of John Smedley knitwear online for both men and ladies including jumpers and cardigans from the current season, and even some in the sale from last season - at half price or less! my-wardrobe is based in the UK, but ships worldwide.